Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is the new benefit which has been introduced to replace 6 existing benefits for those who are on a low income or out of work.  The six benefits are:

- Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
- Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
- Income Support (IS)
- Working Tax Credits (WTC)
- Child Tax Credits (CTC)
- Housing Benefit (HB)

Universal Credit Full Service

This will affect all new claimants from 28th June 2017 for our Clackmannanshire tenants, except those in Clackmannan which will be affected from 6th December 2017.  Fife Tenants will also be affected from 6th December 2017.

At a later date, all those who are currently claiming one or more of these benefits, or are currently on the Live Service, will be transferred on to Universal Credit Full Service. 

If your circumstances change and you need to claim benefits then you could be making a claim for Universal Credit.  If you do need to make a claim for Universal Credit please contact your Housing Services Officer or Ochil View’s Tenancy Sustainment Officer who will provide you with information, advice or assistance before making your claim.  Universal Credit will be paid directly to you and this will include your housing costs for your rent.  You must make an arrangement with Ochil View about paying your rent, and any rent arrears.

Housing Benefit

With the implementation of Universal Credit Full Service, new claims for Housing Benefit for working age claimants will no longer be accepted by Clackmannanshire Council.  There are few exemptions to this.

If you receive a notification from Clackmannanshire Council that your Housing Benefit has been suspended, you must respond within 4 weeks of the date of the letter.  Otherwise your claim will be ended and you will need to claim Universal Credit Housing Costs to cover your rent.  You will also be responsible for any arrears that may accrue during this time.

If your Housing Benefit is suspended please contact us straight away and we will provide any assistance that we can.

18-21 year olds

In addition to the roll out of the Full Service, there are new changes that will affect those who are aged 18 to 21.  From 28th June 2017 some 18 to 21 year olds claiming Universal Credit will not be entitled to help with Housing Costs.  This will apply to new claims on the Full Service.  However, there are some exemptions to this and Housing Costs are payable in certain cases.

If you are affected by any of the above changes, or would like further information, please contact Ochil View’s Tenancy Sustainment Team and we will be happy to help.

You can contact us on customerservices@ochilviewha.co.uk or by phoning 01259 722899

You can check if you can get Universal Credit by going to www.gov.uk/universalcredit

Other useful information provided by the Government can be found at: